Published a book anyone?

Discussion in 'The Open Forum' started by Bevaleigh, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Bevaleigh

Bevaleigh Member

Hello Everyone,
    I'd like to feature some writers on my blog. If you've written a book, and want some exposure for your writing, please feel free to enter details of what you'd like to say below. I will copy and paste your writing, and also add your book (if you have one) as a link to give you some added exposure. Thank you. God Bless.

2. Justin Swanton

Ta for the kind offer. I published a historical novel some years ago (a bit old so I don't know if it counts). Here's the plot summary from the website I made for it. It's available on Amazon.

Plot summary
    By AD486 the Western Roman Empire had shrunk to Roman Gaul, itself on the eve of invasion by the Franks under the leadership of their dynamic young king, Chlodovech.

As the warclouds gather, a young girl, Aemilia, travels, after the death of her Frankish mother, to Soissons, capital of Roman Gaul, to stay with her Roman father whom she has never seen. She knows only that his name is Tarunculus and that he is a former centurion. She finds an old man, fixed on the past, determined to save the last provinces of Rome.

Made a convert to his patriotism, she is caught up in the intrigues of the Roman nobility, desperate to save themselves, and begins to realise that the dividing line between duty and betrayal may not lie between Roman and barbarian. The profound upheaval in her life is mirrored by dramatic change in the world around her, as the old Roman order crumbles and the foundations of Christendom are laid.​

I've also just completed a science fiction novel set in the near future, and I'll be putting it up on Amazon once the proofreaders have sufficiently pulled it to pieces. I'll keep you posted.

Just BTW I designed the cover for the historical novel and did the illustrations (I'm a graphic designer by trade). If you need any help with a cover design just let me know. :)

3. Bevaleigh

Bevaleigh Member

Hello Justin, Thanks so much for your book description. I will be sure and post the info to my blog in a day or two when I get time. Sounds like you did a lot of work (research) for your story and your art work is exceptional. I also enjoy writing historical fiction but most of what I write is for younger children, however the subject of historical fiction is interesting to me on many levels. I would like to read a copy of your book sometime soon. Just out of interest do you have a web site with a portfolio of your graphic art also? Thanks again, and yes, please keep me updated on your science fiction novel. Blessings to you.

4. Justin Swanton

I don't have my graphic design up anywhere but on reflection that's not a bad idea. Centurion's Daughter is available on Amazon but if you agree to post a review there I could inveigle the publisher into letting me send you a free ebook copy...

I've made the SF MS available in the critique section. Enjoy!

5. William D'Andrea

Thank you for your invitation:
    I have begun posting my suspense thrill Novel, titled "A Gatored Community" here on Christianwriters.com.
    The plot summary states:
    "Global warming has raised the sea level by 30 feet. People live in floating communities which rise and fall with the tides. In the floating community of Shellfish, Shoals, A woman pearl thief, becomes involved with the owner of an oyster farm where cultured pearls are produced, and an alligator is used for security. In the meantime, she and her gang are planning to raid the facility." I have posted the first four chapters, and expect to be posting chapters 5 & 6 tomorrow morning.
    Thank you again.

6. Bevaleigh

Bevaleigh Member

Hello William. I'd be happy to post your story plot to my blog. Would you like me to add anything about you as a Christian writer?

7. William D'Andrea

Thank you very much! I will truly appreciate having it posted on your blog. I have one question. How do I log on to your blog?
    I've just added chapters 5 & 6 of my Novel "A Gatored Community" to the Showcase Stories and Articles, here on Christianwriters.com.
    My time on the internet is limited. I cannot afford to go on line at home, so I use the computers at my local library. I'm only here four mornings a week, for about 2&1/2 hours. I plan to add two chapters a day, every day that I'm here; so the posting won't be completed until about the middle of April.
    As for adding something about myself as a Christian writer; I'll have to think it through. I should have something written about that, and send it to you. within a few days.
    Thank you again.

8. Bevaleigh

Bevaleigh Member

Hi William. That's great that you can be so disciplined to write at set times. My writing should be like that, but it seldom is, and whenever life throws you a curve ball it's hard to wrap my head around sitting and writing. I'm away for the next couple of weeks. (travelling) so I won't be able to post anything until I return home but what I'd like to do is post your plot and a little blurb about you and add a link to your story. if you search under google www.beverleyrayner.blogspot.com you should find it. It's just called Christian writer, and I started it this year. I want there to be a mix of prayers and thoughts, including photos that I've taken and then of course, I want to highlight various Christian writers. It takes a while to build a platform for a blog but I wanted to start one now as I have a book that will hopefully be released this summer once the publisher gets the layout complete, and I plan to add that also. God Bless you, and your writing.

9. Robert Canfield

Robert Canfield New Member

Dear Bevaleigh

I am a retired professor of Anthropology from Washington University in St Louis.

I have self-published a book of essays [via Createspace] on a few passages of the Bible, mainly aimed at young people, at least people who are still trying to work out their conceptions of themselves, of the gospel, and what they would like to do with their lives. Title: “Walking Blind and other essays on Biblical texts.” In the Invitation of this book I suggest that the Bible is useful in reflecting on the great questions of life and I invite the reader to join me in seeking wisdom and insight through the Bible.

Below is some of the promotional matter.

Robert L. Canfield, PhD, University of Michigan, spent altogether nine and a half years in Afghanistan in the 1950s and 1960s. He taught sociocultural anthropology at Washington University in St Louis for forty-four years and served as Department Chair for seven years. Trained to think of his discipline as the science of history, his scholarly interests have ranged widely. He has written on the cultural continuities of the Turco-Persian ecumene, on factional struggles among peasants in central Afghanistan, on inter-sectarian relations between Ismailis and Ithna-ashariyyah Shiites of Afghanistan, on the Mujahedin coalitions that opposed the Soviets in the 1980s, on the Taliban and similar movements in Central Eurasia, and on the spatial dimensions of power in Eurasia, and on a riot in western Afghanistan .

This work provides a brief glimpse into his private world. A practicing Christian for many years, he has found in the Bible many texts that have helped him work through some of the profound questions of life and experience. In this collage of essays he examines passages of the Bible that have informed his understanding of himself and his life and career. Its narratives, proclamations, examples, enjoinders, claims and promises have shaped his priorities, thoughts, and concerns and so affected his approach to the deep questions that on a subliminal level vex all of us. In these Biblical passages he finds grounds for reflection into the nature of the human condition, the origins of the Christian movement, the practice of authentic faith (which, he stresses, requires creativity), the social implications of belief in Christ, the threats to the earth’s ecosystem, and the wonder of the cosmos. Some of the passages examined here have received little notice in Christian circles.

Chapter titles are the following:

Christianity in a single sentence: A neglected formulation of thegospel.

Social Revolution in the Two Letters to Philemon: On the Abolition of Slavery in the New Testament

Legal Certainty, Ethical Cowardice

Political Uses of Religious Zeal

Biblical Advice on Non-Religious Living

On Martyrdom and Christian “Suicide”

Peter's Little- noted Statement about Peoples “from Every Nation”

The State of Those Who Have “Never Heard”

Walking Blind: A Promise to the Dismayed

Why I Believe in the Resurrection

The Authority of Twelve Jewish Men

The Greatest Social Critics of All Time

The Bang and the Glory

A Strange Prophetic Sign of the World’s End

Robert L. Canfield

10. Bevaleigh

Bevaleigh Member

Hello Robert, thank you for the information on your research and book. I would be interested to read this. I would be happy to post your bio and book info but it will take me a couple of weeks as I'm travelling for awhile and won't have my lap top after tonight but I will be in touch. Warm regards to you, God bless and thank you for taking the time to share your writing. Bev

11. Jared Albright

Dear Bevaleigh,

I wrote, illustrated and self published a children's book in February of 2016. If you want to post my book on your site, that would be wonderful. If you would like the full version, let me know and I could send you a copy. Let me know if you would like anything else.

Title:
    Chester: Chester learns about the great gift of grace

Links

Description:
    In the Evergreen Forest there is a squirrel named Chester, doing what most grey squirrels do. He collects food and learns from his wise teacher Lani, a wise and respected hawk. After Chester finds himself in a hidden pattern of stealing, see what Chester’s brave choices get him.

About the Author.

Before he wrote his first book he was a construction worker, a graphic artist, and had a few other occupations.

Jared’s passions have always been a search for balance, love and peace. He has found these things in nature, among friends, among family, drawing, and writing.

He was influenced by books from his childhood like, The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton and John Bunyan’s Pilgrims Progress. Jared was always drawn to illustrated literature because his mind would wander into all the possibilities of what the place looked like. With illustrations he could focus more on the story and less on what the place looked like or what it looked like to be doing a certain activity.

He was told something by an English teacher one time in High School that there were no new ideas. This bothered him for a long time until he finally had an answer to his teacher, which was, “There might not be any new ideas to write about, but there is certainly a need for lessons to be retold and made relevant, so that their rich lessons are not forgotten.”

Jared has not published anything before this book nor has he written any other published literature, but he was incredibly inspired to write a book that could stand toe to toe with his favorite books from his childhood. He wanted the book to be visually evoking and for the story to have a lasting impression on young minds listening to the story. For the older readers he wanted the story to be a pleasant reminder on how to help the world positively.

After months of creating a world for this story to take place Jared finally found the story to tell, after telling a pivotal childhood story to his wife one night. She said, “I think you found the story for Chester to play out.

Thank you,
    Jared

12. William D'Andrea

13. William D'Andrea

Thank you again for your invitation.
    It looks like I've given you the wrong impression. The scheduled times I mentioned are not the times when I'm writing. They are the times when I'm here at the library, where I'm able to post what I've written at home; and read and respond to what other have posted.
    At home I don't set a time schedule for my writing. My creativity just comes and goes irregularly and can't be scheduled.
    I've just taken a quick look at your blog. It has an attractive appearance. I'll go back to give it a more thorough look.
    I've just posted chapters 7 & 8 of my novel "A Gatored Community."
    You've asked what I can say about myself as a Christian writer.
    While I am a committed Christian, my creativity is not. When it comes to writing fiction, I see myself as an entertainer, and my stories are my performances. When it comes to being an entertainer; I am a natural comedian; and when I am writing fiction, including Christian fiction, this joker is wild.
    Thank you again.

14. Maurice M Hebert

Dear Bevaleigh,

You are a brave lady. There are so many writers out there all with a unique purpose.
    Thank you for the invitation. I have self-published a children's book in collaboration with a talented illustrator. The book is called "What Would I Do?" You can read more about this creative adventure here at http://mogracepublishing.com/

I describe the book as a playful and imaginative romp through occupations and situations. This book explores various occupations in alphabetical order, the rhyming text and the colorful illustrations are pleasantly engaging for ears and eyes. From Astronaut to Zookeeper the delightful illustrations by Megan Tennant will encourage young readers to use their imaginations in forming questions and answers regarding situations they may find themselves in.

I'm looking forward to reading your blog and grateful for the exposure.

Maurice M Hebert

Attached Files:

15. Bevaleigh

Bevaleigh Member

16. Bevaleigh

Bevaleigh Member

Hi Jared,
    I would like to post information about your book to my blog but not the full story. However, since I worked as a children's librarian in a public school for 11 years I have always been interested in children's literature. Please could you tell me what age range your story is written for? Also, I would be interested in reading your book myself. If you google beverleyrayner.blogspot.com you should find it my contact email. I have been away, so this might take me a few days to catch up with some back log stories but hang tight and I'll get to posting, sooner I hope, than later!

17. Bevaleigh

Bevaleigh Member

Hi Maurice,
    I love alphabet books! I would be happy to post your book info. Also, if you have an illustration that I can add, that would be great, and an age range?

18. Bevaleigh

Bevaleigh Member

Hi Justin, I just around to adding the links to your web page and Amazon and also pinning your book to Pintrest. Sorry it took me so long to do. God bless your writing.

Justin Swanton likes this.
  19. Jared Albright

#19 Jared Albright, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    The age range is 5-10. I look forward to seeing the post soon.

20. Bevaleigh

Bevaleigh Member

Hi Robert, please could you send me a direct link to your work on create space? I did a search and couldn't easily find it. Maybe that's because I don't have a login? not sure, but a link would help.