Photo-shopped

Discussion in 'Writing & Publishing Discussion' started by Nancy Sonneman, May 18, 2017.

1. Nancy Sonneman

Is it all right to use this in my WIP? A picture has been photo-shopped. Do I need to avoid using this or can I use it? Do I need permission? Who from? Thanks in advance.

2. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure but it's like saying you googled something. it's become a part of the language. (LOL Almost stuck just in there! ;) )

Uh-oh! I just (this one's okay ;)) googled it. The answer is NO. :eek: Here's what I found on Adobe's site (PS owner):

You must never use the Photoshop trademark as a common verb (‘to photoshop an image,” as an example of such incorrect use) or as a noun. Since Photoshop is a trademark, you should always use it as an adjective only to describe the Adobe products associated with the Photoshop brand. And you should always use the Photoshop trademark with an initial capital letter “P.”

3. Nancy Sonneman

I'll just take it out then. lol.

4. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Glad you asked 'cause this one was news to me! :)

5. Justin Swanton

Seriously I wouldn't worry about it. 'Photoshop' is a trademark name, but legally would fall away as a trademark once it enters general use as a common noun or verb. So by showing they are opposed to the slide into common usage Adobe are trying to stop or at least delay the inevitable in order to keep their trademark.

The same thing applies to Google TM: strictly-speaking you shouldn't in a novel 'google' something. Same thing also applies to Coca-Cola TM. Your character should order a 'Coca-Cola' and never a 'coke'.

Myself I find it beyond ridiculous. I'm not a positivist - some laws are wrong and don't become right simply because they are in the statute books. And guaranteed a lawyer won't come knocking on your door because your hero googled the best way to photoshop a coke logo. But it's up to you.

Phy likes this.
  6. Phy

Phy Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing.