List Of Genres We Write/critique/read

Discussion in 'Project Connections' started by Joanna Alonzo, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Joanna Alonzo

Joanna Alonzo Member

I was wondering if we could consolidate some sort of list to see who among us write under the same genres. I figured it would be easier to find people we could work with if we knew who writes/reads within the genre we're interested in. 

Simply indicate with a reply:

Writes: <list the genres you write>
    Critiques: <list the genres you feel confident you can give proper critique in>
    Reads: <list the genres you love to read/are interested in>

We can also indicate other specifications, like if we're willing to swap critiques with someone or what stage our writing is in or whatever we want to share about your writing.

2. Joanna Alonzo

Joanna Alonzo Member

Let me kick it off:

Writes: Romance, Women's Fiction, Fantasy 

Critiques: Romance, Women's Fiction, YA (still not confident enough to critique fantasy)

Reads: Non-Fiction, Romance, Fantasy, Women's Fiction (I totally love anything by Francine Rivers, C.S. Lewis and Gene Edwards)

A little bit about my writing experience:
    I was a ghostwriter for three years, writing novellas/novels in the following genres: Paranormal Fantasy, Techno-Thriller, Romance/Suspense, Mystery, Romance/Family Saga. Some of the books I ghostwrote completely flopped. Others sold pretty well. 

Now, I'm looking to publish my first novel. Pray with me for favor! <3

If you're writing in the genres I'm willing to critique, feel free to get in touch! Would love to strike a friendship. :)

3. Kelsi

Kelsi New Member

#3 Kelsi, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2016
    [SIZE=12pt]Joanna, I was wondering this same thing about connecting with someone by genre! Then I read your reply and website and realized your interests are similar to my own. I was especially intrigued by your Christian "Beauty and the Beast" tale...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I just finished writing [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]my contemporary romance novel this past spring. I've been editing and sharing with friends and family members ever since. Now, I've realized that - in order to take the next step - I may need insight from someone who's blood or last name I don't share :)  [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]While I would say this is my first real, adult attempt at writing a novel, [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]I have been writing stories in my spare time since I was 7 years old. For the past five years, I've also written professionally as part of my career in public relations. I'm a very strong editor, and I've ghostwritten for CEOs, physicians and operations managers.

To give you an idea of my style and taste, I would say my book is akin to John Green, Emily Giffin and Nicholas Sparks. While mine is certainly a love story, I strive for substance over steam, so even the most conservative should be comfortable with it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I'm very passionate about my message, and I believe it is one that could resonate with Christian readers. The story's theme is about the power of fate versus choice. Given the blog post you recently shared about divine intervention and "helping hands," I think you would enjoy it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Thank you for any tips and advice you might have along this journey of editing and striving for publication! Let me know if you'd be interested in discussing further. [/SIZE]

Joanna Alonzo likes this.
  4. Joanna Alonzo

Joanna Alonzo Member

Hi, Kelsi! Those are some really great credentials! It sounds to me like this could be a promising writerly friendship. ^_^  Feel free to message me, and tell me more about your book. :)  I'd love to be able to help in whatever way I can. 

Kelsi likes this.
  5. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Writes: Christian living, devotionals, inspirational stories/modern-day parables
    Critiques: do very little critiquing
    Reads: mostly Christian living, occasionally mysteries

6. zx1ninja

zx1ninja New Member

Writes: Christian Science Fiction.
    Critiques: I would say that I haven't done an official critique yet. But I am more than happy to tell you if what I read leaves me with questions.
    Reads: Bible, Science Fiction, Aircraft information books.

I have no formal writing experience other than detail reports for work.