Is Everyone On Vacation?

Discussion in 'The Open Forum' started by Grace Roman, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Grace Roman

Grace Roman Member

The usual folks who critique my What Is Love? novel are not. Maybe they are on vacation. I hope they are having a good time. In the mean time, let's talk about vacations, my fellow left-behinders (no intended reference to the novel series). Describe your favorite vacation.

2. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Sometimes, it gets pretty slow around here. :rolleyes: Yeah, vacation, school starting, holidays, weekends.

My favorite vacation? Would have to be the trip we took when the kids were young, in the late '70s, I think. We drove in a van from Kentucky out west for two weeks. Stopped at all kinds of historical sites. Watched the shootout at Dodge City. Stopped at Bent's Fort, a working fort. Rode an old narrow gauge train. Stayed at a Christian camp, with horseback riding up the mountain, archery, etc., and were the only ones there. No TV. Kids didn't want to leave. Stopped at the Royal Gorge bridge. Even more I can't even thing of. We had such a great time. Better than DisneyWorld! :rolleyes: :D

3. Grace Roman

Grace Roman Member

I guess I have expensive tastes, although I've never been to Disney. My fave was a week long Caribbean cruise. A financial mistake unfortunately, but oh how I wish we could go again.

Virginia Winterstorm likes this.
  4. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Awesome! I always wanted to take a Viking cruise around the Greek islands. :)

5. Grace Roman

Grace Roman Member

We just visited an amusement park yesterday. The wait for 2 of the rides were an hour each. I told my son it's like life - I worked 364 days so that we could afford to go there for one day. I think our Enemy has set that up so that we forget we're not actually here to get up, go to work, go home, go to bed, repeat ad nauseum. Although that’s what we have to do in order to survive. The trick is to not be cynical about it. I'm not very good at that.

6. lynnmosher

Staff Member

It is difficult sometimes to keep a good attitude. But it's so important. It can change the atmosphere around us. And can change us! ;)

7. jonjovi

jonjovi Moderator

A cruise sounds fun. I have never been. I hear it is pretty expensive, but so is just about any vacation. I think I would like to try a Alaska cruise. With the kids we usually go to Ocean city or a amusement park. We go to Deep Creek Lake every year. The kids love it there. Last year we went to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra, and I hope to go to see them again this November!

8. Nicola

Nicola Member

Hello!
    I've been at a writers' conference. Grace, I promise I'll get back to What is Love? as soon as the house looks like someone can live in it again. (Gremlins visited while I was gone....)

9. Joeli

Joeli Member

Vacation is where my to-do list isn't.

10. Virginia Winterstorm

Virginia Winterstorm Junior Member

Ah! yes the Viking cruise. Every time I see that commercial it take my breathe away. Such beautiful in thirty seconds.