I Found The Party

Discussion in 'Meets & Greets' started by Grace Roman, May 7, 2017.

1. Grace Roman

Grace Roman Member

Hello everyone. I was Googling "author critique groups" and got through a few that didn't look so good before I decided to give this one a try. A few were actually dead "404 Not Found". Are there a lot of members here? Praise to the Lord. I'll talk more later.

2. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to our writing family. Glad you found us and joined us. Tell us a little bit about yourself and what you like to write. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! :)

3. Rebecca

Rebecca Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Welcome aboard, Grace! :) It's great to have you here!

4. jonjovi

jonjovi Moderator

Hello Grace, welcome to Christianwriters! It is great to meet you!

5. Joeli

Joeli Member

Welcome to the group, Grace. We're glad you've joined us. :)

6. Grace Roman

Grace Roman Member

I hit the big "4-0" this year, so mid-life crisis time. I juggle a minimum wage job, four kids, and a love for writing, which, even though I love my kids, seems to be one of the only things I enjoy doing anymore. Unfortunately, I don't get to write every day unless I do it on meal break at work. I'm dreading sending anything to an editor, because I live paycheck to paycheck. Anyway, for the happiness: I am writing a story about a girl who has trouble turning her passion for art into anything short of a hobby (sound familiar?)

Gotta go. I'll talk more soon.

Mike Morrison likes this.
  7. Mike Morrison

Mike Morrison Member

Welcome aboard!

8. Poem Parks

Poem Parks Member

Hi, Grace! Nice to meet you. I'm a mom too. :) Are you planning to self-publish or to try to get an agent and go with traditional publishing? Depending on your plans, you might not need to hire an editor. You might find some good beta readers and offer to read their work in exchange for reading yours.

And as far as turning forty goes: Forty is the new thirty, and by the time you reach your eighties, average life expectancy might be one hundred or older. So, basically, you're not middle-aged--you're almost a child. :)

9. Grace Roman

Grace Roman Member

Actually, I don't mind the idea of Jesus coming back tomorrow. The only treasures I have on earth I get to take with me - my family. It's not about being forty; it's about not having accomplished as much as I would have liked in what life I've had.

If I self-publish, I'm going to end up with a bunch of copies of my book and no way to sell them, I'm afraid. I need someone to do the marketing and business for me like a publishing company would. I've learned that publishing companies which want money up front are not publishing companies at all but "Vanity Presses". Real publishing companies pay you for the work you've done. Problem is that you have to get past them, and in order to do that, you need an editor, probably a literary agent, and Lord knows what else or else the publishing company will most likely throw your work in the trash before even reading the title. Either way, I need money I don't have, I think.

Getting someone to beta read is why I'm here. My family is too busy, and my friends don't want to read my work lest they hurt my feelings or whatever; but I'm not sure that a publishing company will be too happy unless I pay a bona fide editor.

Sometimes I think I would make an awesome editor, but how does anyone get into that? And is it worth it?

10. Poem Parks

Poem Parks Member

The situation may not be as bad as you may be thinking. :) (You may already know all this, but I like to think we try to learn here even from threads started by people other than ourselves.) If you want your work published by one of the big publishers, you'll need an agent. The big publishers only accept submissions from agents on behalf of authors they represent--the big publishers don't accept submissions directly from authors. An agent won't cost you anything. Agents typically get 15% of their clients' earnings on domestic book sales. (And in my view, they definitely earn that 15%.) You may not need to hire an editor. There are authors who hire an editor before approaching agents; however, many writers get agents without having hired an editor. Many agents are very hands-on with editing before they submit their clients' work to publishers.

For now, maybe it would be best to concentrate on writing your manuscript. When you're done that and have done your own editing and revising (and perhaps you'll also use critique partners), then get your beta readers and take it from there.

Blessings on your writing!

11. Grace Roman

Grace Roman Member

For now, maybe it would be best to concentrate on writing your manuscript. When you're done that and have done your own editing and revising (and perhaps you'll also use critique partners), then get your beta readers and take it from there.

Blessings on your writing![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips! I am doing my best to concentrate on my first draft, but I'm the kind of person who needs to have a plan and a reasonable chance of success (or ability to afford success $) or else, no matter how much passion I have for the project, I shelf it. I have critiqued one work here, so hopefully soon I'll get the chance to post my own work.