How Many Are Too Many

Discussion in 'Writing & Publishing Discussion' started by LoveSharingFaith, Aug 3, 2017.

1. LoveSharingFaith

LoveSharingFaith New Member

I am in the process of writing my first book and it is a Christian study book. I am wanting to find out how many and how long quotes from the Bible are too much. Thanks for any advice and God Bless

2. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Many version allow you to use hundreds of verses without asking permission. Some even 1000. HOWEVER...you must use their copyright wording at the front of your book. If you use only one version, you can add that all scriptures are from that version.

On the other hand, if you use several versions, you must write the reference in the correct way. For instance, if you quote a verse, be sure you use this after this example after the quote: (John 11:40 AMPC)

To find the versions and their allowable usage, use Biblegateway.com. That link will lead you to the versions. Scroll down to English and click on the version/s you wish to use. It will show you the amount. You'll see a tab for copyright. Click on it and use that wording in the front of your book.

The KJV is in the public domain and you can use as many verses as you look but you still need to give the copyright reference in the front of your book. However, if you publish your book in England, you MUST get permission even for one verse.

Hope this helps. :)

3. LoveSharingFaith

LoveSharingFaith New Member

Thanks for the information. I am more trying to figure out what percent of the book or how many verses per chapter is too much. Also, what is the maximum length of a scripture you would quote in a book. Thanks again

4. suspensewriter

I didn't know that about England and the KJV, Lynn. That's rather peculiar.

5. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Yup. It's still under copyright.

6. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Oops! Sorry. Misunderstood. If it's a study book, I don't know that I'd worry about how many. Although, I'd be careful not to use so much Scripture that there's barely any written text. I would also go to the bookstore, especially a Christian one, and check out other study books.

I think you're asking, should you use all of a verse or just part of it. It isn't necessary to use all of a verse, unless it is taken out of context or can be misleading. On the other hand, if you mean using many verses, like a whole chapter, I don't think I would do that. Have I misunderstood again? :rolleyes:

7. Nicola

Nicola Member

Is it possible to ask those using the study to look up the scripture in their own bible? Encourage them to know their bible, perhaps make personal notes in the margins. This is my experience with bible studies.
    In the old days it was flip, flip flip the pages, Deuteronomy comes after Numbers... These days it's, click, click,scroll, book chapter verse Zap! on the screen.

8. SmartrykFoster

You'd have to read the copyright notice of the version of the Bible that you plan to use. The copyright notice should tell you exactly how many verses in total, how much of a single chapter, and what portion of the Bible in total you're allowed to use without getting written permission from the copyright holder. There should also be a way of contacting the copyright holder (or the publisher of that version of the Bible) to ask about getting permission to use more of their Bible or to ask how much you're allowed to use without first getting permission.

The King James Version of the Bible was commissioned by King James and is under Crown copyright in the UK. The Crown decided to put it under perpetual copyright, which preserves the authenticity of the King James Bible (if anyone wants to check whether a printed King James Bible has been altered, they can compare it to a King James Bible printed by Cambridge University Press which administers the Crown copyright of the KJV in the UK).

The KJV being under Crown copyright in the UK is actually a good thing for the rest of us where the KJV is public domain.