How About Christian Litrpg (mmo-based Virtual Reality Books)?

Discussion in 'Writing & Publishing Discussion' started by Fedor, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Fedor

Fedor Member

How about christian LitRPG (MMO-based virtual reality books)? Do you know any christian LitRPG?

Online gaming is the largest non-evangelized people group in the world. Gamers spent alot of money online. Gamers have big communiities.

LitRPG is a subgenre of science fiction and fantasy which describes the hero's adventures within an online computer game. LitRPG books merge traditional book-style narration with elements of a gaming experience, describing various quests, achievements and other events typical of a video game.

The defining feature that sets LitRPG fiction apart from traditional portal fantasy is its use of interactive gaming language, such as the inclusion of various system messages, players' stats, items' characteristics and other elements appreciated by gamers. The narration in a LitRPG novel has to abide by the rules of a game while filling it with conflict and drama as the hero tries to survive in this new environment.This "book meets game" experience proved to be exactly what many gamers-turned-readers were looking for in a novel.

I have read lots of LitRPG books (Ready Player One, Play to Live, The Dark Messiah, The Way of the Shaman, The Knighthood and etc.). But i can't find any christian LitRPG...

We need it. The future is for christian LitRPG!

2. suspensewriter

Hey Fedor, that is new ground indeed!

Very innovative and important thinking and I'd like to hear more about it.

3. RL Childers

RL Childers Member

Fedor-
    Are you talking about actual novels or computer games? I used to love RPG games and the thought has crossed my mind that are not any christian ones that I'm aware of. I guess I didn't realize that there were actual novels that were considered RPG. I have several book ideas that I think would fit very well in this category and I would love more info about it. Maybe you can recommend one or two of your favorites that I should read?

Thanks for sharing. This really has some wheels turning in my brain. :)

4. Phy

Phy Senior Member

Interesting. Source?

5. Fedor

Fedor Member

#5 Fedor, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017

Info from Bestfantasybooks.com
    LitRPG an emerging subgenre of Science Fiction & Fantasy and, arguably, the fastest growing new speclatutive fiction genre, if you look at the sheer number of LitRRPG indie fiction being released right now.
    LitRPG literally stands for 'literature Role Playing Game'. In other words, a story version of an RPG -- at least in theory. Truth be told the genre has busted out of its pure gaming roots and has started to define an identity. What it will be in a few years might not be what it is now.

The Short History of LitRPG

The genre (which up to recently was often bundled in with Cyberpunk) started out in Korea as a sort of successful fanfic experiment.

This new kind of story (about gamers trapped in VR gaming worlds) gained some popularity in Korea.

Then a few Russians, sensing an opportunity, started to dabble in this new genre, releasing LitRPG books in Russia. D Rus (Play to Live) and V Manhanenko (The Way of the Shaman) were the first such.

These authors soon became fairly successful in Russia which garnered the attention a well-regarded Russian Science Fiction writer Andrei Livadny who wrote the Phantom Series novels.

This series became a national best seller in Russia and soon LitRPG became a real thing in Russia, not just an obscure niche of science fiction.

A few years later, D Rus translated his Play to Live series into English and released them on the Kindle marketplace.

The books found a hungry English-speaking readership willing to buy anything stamped with LitRPG on it and soon, the Russian invasion of LitRGP began.

English Indie SFF writers saw how successful this new genre was on the marketplace (dominated up to this point by Russian-translated works) and started writing their own LitRPG stores.

And here we are a few years later with a new genre.

Popular LITRPG Books we can find on Goodreads

Some thoughts from my friends about Christian litRPG:

So What is LITRPG?
    It's all about virtual reality becoming reality, where everything that happens takes place partly or entirely inside virtual reality. Think the Matrix meets World of Warcraft meets Ender's Game and you have a good idea what it is.

RL Childers likes this.