Hand grenades

Discussion in 'Writing & Publishing Discussion' started by Nancy Sonneman, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Nancy Sonneman

In my new WIP, the main characters find a hand grenade as they plant flowers in the yard. Next day, they find a picture of themselves with the grenade and the word "kaboom" written on the back. This is later termed a dud. My question is this: Will a dud grenade ever come back to being "live" with the pin still intact? This is in a Christian mystery and is used only as a scare tactic. Is this all right? (There will be no murder or grenade going off in this novella.)

2. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I googled it and got both sides of the issue. About half yes and half no. Not much out there on it. But a couple responses did say that if handled roughly, it could still go off. Maybe someone else has a better answer.

3. Nicholas Reicher

um... depends upon the definition of dud... I used to have one I bought from an army-navy surplus store as a paper-weight. All the explosive material was gone. It was hollow, and... really cool. Everyone thought it was great.
    If it was what the military considers a dud and not "de-mil", it would require something to set off the explosive material inside.

Nancy Sonneman likes this.
  4. Phy

Phy Senior Member

What if the person who proclaimed the hand grenade a dud was lying?

5. Cecilia Marie

Cecilia Marie Senior Member

I found an old military explosive in some of my late husband's things. From the reaction of the police when I (ignorantly) sent my son down to the station with it, all explosives are considered "live" until examined by an expert.

However, since this is your story, you can determine if the grenade has been rendered safe or is still considered a threat.

6. Nancy Sonneman

Thank you all.

7. Nancy Sonneman

This WIP is going to be as non-violent as possible, but I like your "what if" when dealing with this WIP.