Hallmark Channel Looking For Writers

Discussion in 'Writing & Publishing Discussion' started by lynnmosher, Jul 28, 2017.

1. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

2. suspensewriter

And here I thought they only did greeting cards.

3. lynnmosher

Staff Member

LOL Are you married, SW? ;)

4. DrRita

DrRita Member

Great channel. Tough market but well worth the try!!

5. lynnmosher

Staff Member

HEY!!! Rita, YOU could do that! Think about going for it! :D

6. DrRita

DrRita Member

I mentally scanned my finished screenplays and none fit their criteria . . . But who knows, I might be able to do that with a couple of my newer ideas I'm working on.
    Thanks for your vote of confidence, Lynn!!!

7. lynnmosher

Staff Member

You're welcome! I'll be rooting for you! :D

DrRita likes this.
  8. Phy

Phy Senior Member

Oh, man - this is so true. For content providers like your local cable company or satellite tv providers like DirecTV or Dish Network, The Hallmark Channel is as attractive and lucrative as ESPN. And like ESPN, THC has splintered into multiple premium channels such as Hallmark Mysteries & Movies. (We would be able to cut the cord if not for THC.)

9. lynnmosher

Staff Member

LOL Yup! So true! :D

Oh, btw, Johne, we're looking at cutting the cord as well. A couple of weeks ago, I found that a couple other providers offer THC. I can't remember now which ones they were. You might check around. If I find them again, I'll let you know. :)

Phy likes this.
  10. Phy

Phy Senior Member

THC and THC M&M are the holy grail of streaming services right now for me. We already have the usual streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, CBS All Access, and so on) via Roku and Apple TV. I keep hoping I can use DirecTV Now and cancel DirecTV proper but we're not quite there yet.

11. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Ahh! Good for you. You're waaaaaaaaaay ahead of us. I think what holds us back is that we use pause, FF, rewind, record, and scheduling so much that it's hard to leave it. :rolleyes:

12. suspensewriter

Hi Lynn, and yes I'm married and since I don't watch TV and haven't seen much in the way of movies, I get to hear about them from my wife Beth, who can actually watch two or three things at a time, which is kind of confusing to me.

Watching television makes me feel like a spectator at a sporting event. I think it makes me feel guilty, as in I should be writing! Other writers I know find television and movies inspirational because the experience encourages them to write more successfully. Besides, it takes away from time to read and research.

Maybe if I popped some popcorn, added melted butter and a soda drink, I could get more into it.:rolleyes:

13. lynnmosher

Staff Member

LOL I have a hard time watching a movie without the clickety-click of my fingers on the keys! If not, I feel guilty as well! :rolleyes: :D

14. Phy

Phy Senior Member

When you stream a program, you can watch anything that's available at any time (which releases you from needing a DVR) and you can pause and resume, go back and forward as you like. But for a lot of these services, shows go in and out of availability so you tend to hit the ones you want to see when you can see them.

For instance, GALAXY QUEST is a rip-roaring send-up / homage to STAR TREK. Sometimes it's on Netflix, sometimes on Hulu, sometimes on Amazon Prime, sometimes you have to rent it if you want to see it Right Now. For many people, the money you're saving seems to be worth a change in thinking, watching what's available in lieu of saving things to watch in a queued fashion later.

15. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Oh, wow! I didn't realize all that. Thank you sooooooo much, Johne! :D

16. DrRita

DrRita Member

I got rid of cable about a year and a half ago (Direct TV) which was charging me waaaay too much for just basics.

The nice thing about being a screenwriter is that I NEED to watch movies and TV to stay current . . . LOL. No guilt feelings! I LOVE Galaxy Quest!!

Phy likes this.