"gee, Ya Think?"

Discussion in 'Writing & Publishing Discussion' started by Nancy Sonneman, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Nancy Sonneman

Do twenty-somethings still say "Gee, ya think?" or does the age-old "duh!" still work?
    I need this for my current WIP. Believe it or not, I am STILL fixing the 2nd book of my mystery series.
    Thanks in advance.

suspensewriter likes this.
  2. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

To me, either would be okay. :)

3. zx1ninja

zx1ninja Member

Gee, ya think? Duh.

Nope, don't matter. ; ) But I suppose it would depend on the context, character personality and time frame.

4. suspensewriter

All of the above, but with a caveat: A comprehensive survey of the twenty-somethings on my block revealed that it's mostly people over thirty who still use the word "Gee."

5. Nicola

Nicola Member

As a child I was not allowed to say "Gee" because everyone except me knew it referred to Jesus. Now a-days the mouths of babes blast for much worse brimstone.

6. Phy

Phy Senior Member

Honestly? Modern twenty-somethings don't say 'gee,' they say 'eff' (if you know what I mean). I wouldn't try too hard to sound too modern - 'duh' is universal.

(I was trying to think of a modern expression - sometimes, to insult someone's actions or mental capacity they'll say 'Derp.')