Free webinar: publish your book affordably

Discussion in 'Writing & Publishing Discussion' started by CBV, Mar 29, 2017.

1. CBV

CBV Junior Member

You can watch out my free online webinar: Publish Your Book Affordably at http://www.marketingchristianbooksinc.com/university/, just scroll to the bottom of the page. I will be teaching a much expanded edition of this at both the Colorado Christian Writers Conference and the Philadelphia Christian Writers Conference this year.

~Sarah Bolme
    Director Christian Small Publishers Association

2. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Sarah, I moved your comment here where it's a better fit and more members will see it. Thanks for this. Sounds great! :)

3. zx1ninja

zx1ninja Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but define affordably. I have found substantive and line edit with proofread at $5,000.00. POD publishing at $3,000.00. This also recommends interior edit (which I do agree with), buying your own ISBN, then another code (ECN?), cover design and others for a estimate of around $10,000.00. That's quite a sum.

4. blackthorne

blackthorne Junior Member

You never got an answer, did you?

5. zx1ninja

zx1ninja Member

Nope

6. blackthorne

blackthorne Junior Member

7. zx1ninja

zx1ninja Member

Got worse things to worry about.

blackthorne likes this.
  8. Justin Swanton

Wow. I checked their rates just to be sure. Basic proofing: 1c/word, technical editing: 1,5c/word, comprehensive editing: +/- 3,5c/word. For an average length novel of 100 000 words that comes out at $1000 - $1 500 - $3 500.

The bottom line is that one can clean up one's MS to a publishable quality for much, much less than this (or even nothing). Just ask people to proofread and offer to proofread in return.

And what do you need an ISBN - ECN number for? A publisher arranges that and they don't charge you for it. If you self-publish you're doing an ebook and don't need it. And obviously you keep clear of vanity publishing.

Cover design: not a cent over $500 tops, and usually much less than that.

In the real world getting a good-quality book out there actually costs very little. Getting it noticed is another matter, but that isn't a question of money either.

9. zx1ninja

zx1ninja Member

All true. But when the webinar is stating you should do all this stuff I feel my question is valid, define affordable.

blackthorne likes this.