Fair Week

Discussion in 'The Open Forum' started by yawarakai, Aug 9, 2017.

1. yawarakai

yawarakai Senior Member

2 days down, and by the end of each day I am so upset with people. There are so many people complaining every day because they have to park a little bit further. We have a system for parking to try and make it fair. We start at the end of one row and work our way out, then work our way back parking cars behind that row.
    Yet so many people try to cut out of line and park as close as they can in a row we are not working on even though the lot attendants are trying to wave them down to the officer. Then we have to ask them to move and they get upset wanting to know what difference does it make if they park there and this is so much coser why do I have to drive all the way to end with everyone else. (in that time others see that car and try to do the same thing and they get upset when told to move, if it is busy you get a chain reaction and one pissed off officer).
    Yesterday was $2 senior day so every other car had a senior citizen and 75% of them could not walk good(yet coming to a 117 acre fair to walk around) I was a heartless jerk and made them all park with everyone else (and let them ride the tractor in, at the end of the day we had golf carts waiting for those who had a hard time getting back to their cars).
    I had a lot of mothers tell me they could not park with everyone else because they had children, one I told that walking is exercise and exercise is good for children. Another said she had a babay and could not walk far witht he baby so she needed to park in handicap, I told her children are not a disability or handicap go park with everyone else (she got of the car when parked and walked in with the kid in a sport stroller with huge wheels and her bag in a basket in the back)
    We got yelled at for not having enough handicap spots (law says we need 30 for the size of our lot we have 150) as they all got filled up fast. As soon as peple saw the cars going out far and placard would appear from somewhere.
    Two people said thank you, one of them I sang your welcome back and they laughed telling me I sounded just the rock in Moana. We definitely see the worst in people when working, but the people I work with we go crazy at the end of the day or do goofy stuff during the day. The lot attendants are teens in green shirts except for Mary a 57 year old black woman. She dances on the street when directing traffig and makes everyone smile, I was working by her for a while and wacing people down the road. Since I was waving my arm and hand in a large circle to wave them down I extended my other had, called out to Mary and showed her some air guitar moves hitting the chords each time my hand came down to wave people on.

2. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

LOL Your days are certainly filled with an overflow of mixed emotions. Maybe add a few dance steps to your routine and the disgruntled won't be so disgruntled. ;) Hope the rest of your days are enjoyable! :)

3. jonjovi

jonjovi Moderator

Sounding like the rock in Moana is pretty cool! Sounds like you have pretty full days. I hope the rest goes well for you!

4. Joeli

Joeli Member

I'm glad you're having some fun while you work!

5. yawarakai

yawarakai Senior Member

Friday, feeling like crap. Wednesday and Thursday we had free admission for the first three hours and filled the lots. It was one steady line of traffic from when we got there until the end of free time five hours later. We all stood and walked directing traffic for five hours with no breaks but one wife brought out granola bars, cookies and crackers to keep our sugar up.. We are required to have 30 handicap spots, we had 120 increased it to 160. They all filled up the first hour. We were parking handicap people in general parking but as close as we could. We are running 13 hour days and walking 16,000 plus steps a day. Tomorrow we work a 15 hour day.
    Wednesday at the end of day I heard a scrunching sound and looked up. 2 women with 5 kids were pushing a wheelchair with an elderly man on it. He had his feet on the ground slowing them down by dragging them. I got in the golf cart and drove up to them and asked if they would like a ride to their vehicle. They asked Papa in the wheelchair and he said yes and got him in the cart. One woman hopped on the rear facing seat and all the little kids hopped on with her. The other woman walked to the car pushing the now empty chair.
    I hit the red and blue lights and drove towards the lot they were parked in. Papa muttered to himself the whole time about this and that. We made to the car and they had to convince Papa to get off the cart and walk to his seat in the car with them, both of them holding a hand and supporting him, Then they turned to me and thanked me for the help saying Papa has been getting worse lately and it would have taken forever to get to the vehicle.

6. yawarakai

yawarakai Senior Member

Last day today, yesterday was the longest day and busiest. We had a Pink Floyd tribute band and filled all the lots to max capacity. The bad thing is they all came at the last minutes. From 6 to 8:30 it was a solid line of cars, cars were backed up a mile away on the main road and two miles on the highway trying to get off. We started at 8a and left at midnight.
    We had a flea market in the morning and while it was frustrating it was also a release because people would drive out into the oncoming traffic to avoid a 2 inch deep mud puddle that was wide. Then I could yell at them, I was using the puddle to slow these people down from their speeding.
    The end of the night was the worst as all the concert goers were leaving and all the vehicles were pulling out right after the fireworks. 80% of the people were wasted on pot or alcoihol and kept walking into the traffic which wasn't stopping. And we had had to make sure nobody got hurt.

7. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Wow! Somehow I missed Friday. So glad you were able to help that family. Sounds like long, grueling hours. Hope you're feeling well to keep up with all that. :)

8. yawarakai

yawarakai Senior Member

And the week is over. I only worked 90 hours in the 7 days. I left the after party at 1am beofre I fell asleep. Got to remeet old friends and stay busy all week. Tried some cabbage and noodles in the fair but there was too much pepperr in it why is everything loaded with pepper lately? Today I was up and moving arond by noon, washed my uiniforms and now have to unpack my car.

9. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Whew! I'm sure you're glad that's over. :)

10. yawarakai

yawarakai Senior Member

Actually I enjoyed it while there. Even though it is stressfull it is fun and I can't wait for next year.

11. Joeli

Joeli Member

Congratulations on surviving Fair Week 2017! :)