Do I really need an editor?

Discussion in 'Writing & Publishing Discussion' started by Sue Goodreau, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Sue Goodreau

Sue Goodreau New Member

Hi all,

My manuscript is done, I've gone over it twice, and it is now being read by three people. Here's my question--is my next step to send it to an editor? I I've read conflicting opinions from literary agents; some suggest having it edited and some prefer seeing it before editing. Any comments would be helpful; I certainly don't want to spend the $4,000 if it's not necessary. And if the answer is yes, have it edited, do you have any recommendations for a good Christian editor? (I have the Christian Writers Market Guide, but there are so many!)

2. Phy

Phy Senior Member

3. Bevaleigh

Bevaleigh Member

I Phy, in my humble opinion, I would get an editor. If you have invested so much into your manuscript in the way of time and thought, then it's worth doing. I am always amazed how an editor can pick out things or just a phrase that needed re-wording. (which I was totally blind to) Are any of the three people reading your manuscript professional editors? If they aren't I'd go with an editor!

4. Mike Morrison

Mike Morrison Member

Though I do not have any recommendations, I would also suggest getting an editor for the above said reasons. :)

5. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmm...just a thought. If you are sending your MS to agents, then get an editor and send it to those agents who would rather see it edited. Then, send out the unedited version to those agnets who would rather see it unedited.

Sue, I hope you'll hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. :)

Phy likes this.
  6. Alyssa Rowley

Alyssa Rowley Member

As an editor, I would say YES. But I will also say that $4000 seems high. You could probably get it edited for half that.

Phy likes this.