Blog Before Publishing

Discussion in 'Writing & Publishing Discussion' started by Teddy, May 19, 2017 at 9:07 AM.

1. Teddy

Teddy Member

"Also, it's very difficult, if not impossible, to snag a publisher if you do not have a blog and have no following. So if you do not have a blog, it's something to consider."

Where to read to find how to start a blog? What are the secrets of having many followers?

2. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Having a blog pertains more to nonfiction than it does fiction. However, it makes it much harder to have a following without a blog/website. The main way to garner followers (called a platform) is to develop relationships with people, which can be done through a blog but not alone. You need to join social networks and get connected with others. Also join writing groups, especially on Facebook. I would suggest, though, that you join Christian groups.

After getting established somewhat, you may want to ask those you've connected with, those who have blogs in your genre, if you could be a guest poster. Also, writing for other publications or websites helps.

Just remember: it takes time. :)

Cecilia Marie likes this.
  3. Teddy

Teddy Member

Thanks a lot.

But what is the connection between the blog-follower sphere and the publisher/ publishing world? How are the two related? Is the number of followers a sign of a potential market size? Or, the blogging a test of my writing skills and broad appeal?

4. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Well, actually, both. They check...hmmm...just thought. I'm not sure how they check how many followers you have on your blog, unless you have a widget in your sidebar for followers. Though not everyone that follows clicks on it. But they do check your social media followers, which are always listed. And yes, they can read some of your work on your blog. :)

5. Joeli

Joeli Member

Great information, Lynn- as always! We need to get you a tip jar! :D

6. lynnmosher

Staff Member

LOLOL Too funny! *Tips* are always appreciated! Will be standing in the lobby...:D :rolleyes: :p

7. Teddy

Teddy Member

Lynn - so it means my fandom? That is the more people recognize my name, the more they will spread the news about my book through the word-of-mouth? That way the publisher can sell the book more?
    So, they consider this form of social media involvement the best outreach media, an effective marketing strategy? So, they need my input in that regard, that I not only write a book, but also market it?

8. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Oh, sad to say, if you go with a traditional publisher, you will probably have to do as much marketing as you would do on your own. :rolleyes:

9. Teddy

Teddy Member

Lynn - so what about Amazon self-publishing? Where here on this forum to read about discussion on this topic? Does it take care of the marketing side, no demand from Amazon from self-publishing authors?

10. lynnmosher

Staff Member

CreateSpace (paper) and Kindle are self-publishing and you do all the marketing. There are numerous threads on this topic in the writers' forum (writing & publishing discussion). You can scroll through them to see what interests you. Or if you'd like, you can start a new thread. I would do a little back reading first. :)

11. suspensewriter

My publisher and many others require- per contract- that you both blog and have a presence in social media. It's not an option to abstain from any of those platforms. Not all publishers do, but the days of writers leaving everything in the hands of their publishers is long gone. I hope that helps.

12. Teddy

Teddy Member

So what counts us a social media presence? Has it to be primarily Facebook and accumulating friends there? Or, something like the Christianwriters page is enough?

13. lynnmosher

Staff Member

The more places you are connected, the better. However, a BIG however, you cannot gather a large following in lots of sites, mainly because it takes time. If you concentrate on two, or possibly three, you'll be doing good. And sorry to say, I don't think this site would be at the top of the list for followers. Facebook and Twitter are usually the top two. Instagram is now up there. LinkedIn and Goodreads are good as well. I will say that I think it's easier to connect with people on FB and Twitter because they're set up for conversations. I've made a lot of friends on both. :)

14. zx1ninja

zx1ninja Member

Blog. I don't have a clue what that's about or how to begin. I might be toast.

15. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Okay. Here's a definition:

"A blog (also called a weblog or web log) is a website consisting of entries (also called posts) appearing in reverse chronological order with the most recent entry appearing first (similar in format to a daily journal). Blogs typically include features such as comments and links to increase user interactivity. Blogs are created using specific publishing software."

A blog is a website but is slightly different. Some are for selling, some are for information, etc. A blog is usually regular articles. If a Christian blog, they're usually articles or devotionals on Christina living.

I'm sure you'll have plenty of questions. There's a lot to learn. :)

16. zx1ninja

zx1ninja Member

So Facebook off the Facebook site. So why would I need that? Already have a Facebook page (should I include link???), so how would that benefit me looking to the future of publishing?

17. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Because agents/publishers look at numbers: those you are connect to. The greater the numbers, the better your chances of their accepting you.

18. zx1ninja

zx1ninja Member

So it's not really about the product, (at least not completely), it's about how many you know who know about the product that might be interested in it.

19. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Exactly! If your story is the absolute best but you're not connected to anyone, no followers, (have no platform), you have little chance of being accepted. No one will know who you are and, therefore, you'll have few buyers.

20. suspensewriter

Lynn's right. Many publishers require you to have a strong social media presence, including blogging, because they're after sales and well connected people have developed a following who are more likely to buy your work. It's all about sales.