Any Thoughts On Kdp?

Discussion in 'Writing & Publishing Discussion' started by RL Childers, Jul 28, 2017.

1. RL Childers

RL Childers Member

I was just introduced to KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) by a young lady. Has anyone out there had any experience with it? Good or bad, I'm interested in whether it is something I should look into or just avoid. I have discovered so many things aimed at writers that all seem like a good idea until you really take a good look. Thanks for sharing any thoughts!

2. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No, I haven't taken advantage of it yet but I will. Yes, if you want to self-publish, it's a great way to go. If you do, you will need supplemental submissions to other sites. That is, if you wish to sell your book through sites other than Amazon. Draft2digital (D2D) shares to multiple outlets, like to Barnes & Noble, iBooks, etc.

3. suspensewriter

As publishers, we use it for most of our eBooks in preference to all other outlets combined. The reason is that it by far outperforms all others, and that by dealing exclusively through KDP (especially their Select program) you pull more income than you could through the others, so yes I'd recommend it highly.

There's a reason Jeff Bezos is now the richest man on the planet and that iStore, Google Play and Barnes and Noble are eating his dust. This doesn't mean he's the worlds nicest or coolest guy- it just means he's put together one heck of a selling system small publishers and individual authors can take advantage of and make more money than otherwise.

One caveat, though, and that it is that they allow advertising of almost all eBooks on their Kindle site- except religious. So you have to promote your book via Social Media and other channels.