Advice On Using Multiple Protagonists

Discussion in 'Writing & Publishing Discussion' started by RL Childers, Sep 11, 2017.

1. RL Childers

RL Childers Member

I'm looking for advice on using multiple protagonists in my novel. It is actually a series of 4 novels based on the book of Revelation. There is a heavy theme throughout Revelation of things happening in sevens (Sevens is actually the name I'm using for the book series with each book getting a different sub title). I'm using seven warriors as the main characters.

They are all working toward the same goal of convincing others that Elyon (God) is passing judgement on humans and they (we) need to repent. There is only one antagonist of course, that being Nabal (Satan). The warriors will actually be responsible for releasing seven of the judgments on their fellow humans with the help of the Sheva (Elyon's dragons: aka angels).

The warriors are a mix of male and female, different races, different backgrounds, coming together to fight a common enemy and save as many of their fellow citizens as possible before the end of the judgement period and Elyon's return to Ara (earth) as King.

I want to do this in a way that will still capture the readers hearts and emotions with out confusing them so any advice you have would be very helpful.

2. Phy

Phy Senior Member

An obvious suggestion is to write various chapters from the POV of the various heroes. I've seen that done, and done well.

3. RL Childers

RL Childers Member

In the first book, called The Messengers, this is what I am doing. Each of the protagonists is being introduced as the Sheva bring Elyon's message to their perspective regions. The book will end with the rapture (I think). In the rest of the series the protags will be united so I may use Jerry Jenkins suggestion about an extra space or a series of *** to indicate a switch in POV. (Thanks for the link to that article btw!)

Phy likes this.
  4. Carol Peterson

Carol Peterson Senior Member

I agree with Phy--as long as you clearly identify whose POV we are in at the time, this can be done nicely. I'm working on one such project altho it only has 2 protags. I just title the POV chapter with that one's name: Zack or Aleria; just so readers know instantly who is doing what. I've also seen authors split the books into parts: Part I Joe; Part II Susan; Part III Larry.

Phy likes this.
  5. Nicola

Nicola Member

I remember reading your story. You were introducing the seven gradually, one by one.
    I just had the thought that there is plenty of other mystery in your story. You can announce all the characters together at the beginning and gain clarity.
    Perhaps Elyon can do a little narration at the start. ie. 'These are My servants, A, B, C. D, E, F, and G. Through them I will save the world.'
    After that, you'll be very busy developing seven unique voices so that even when we are in D's head we can tell what A is thinking by her actions alone.

6. RL Childers

RL Childers Member

Nicola-
    Thanks for sharing this. Now you have me thinking about adding them to the prologue when the Sheva are introduced...............hmmm