Advice For A Possible Book.

Discussion in 'The Open Forum' started by Ashley Nicole, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Ashley Nicole

Ashley Nicole Member

As humans and Christians we understand that in life we have our share of struggles and while we should rely on the Lord sometimes we take it upon ourselves. We forget to trust in him and it makes things so much worse than they could be. I want to get some opinions from other people and while I know in the end it is up to me, I just want to find out what others think.
    The book I want to write is going to tell the story of a woman who goes through struggles in her life, struggles that have a part in her distancing herself from her faith and trust in the Lord. Some of her struggles include depression, anxiety, self-harm, and thoughts of suicide. As the book goes on there are circumstances that lead her back to her beliefs.
    Do any of you think this is a good idea or that it should be avoided? Many of the things are true events in the book.

2. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds good to me. Go for it! :)

Ashley Nicole likes this.
  3. Poem Parks

Poem Parks Member

#3 Poem Parks, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Those struggles are real things that happen to real people. I don't think such a book should be avoided, and it could help many people. Some readers won't want to read that kind of book, but that shouldn't stop you from writing what you have in mind.

Edited to add: Is your intention to write for the "Christian market?" (I don't mean readers who are Christians--many of us read books that are and are not written specifically for the "Christian market.") Others here who know more about that market might be able to say if your subject matter would be a problem there.

4. Nicholas Reicher

I agree... this is a book that would resonate with a lot of readers...

5. Joeli

Joeli Member

I agree with Nicholas.

6. DrRita

DrRita Member

I believe that if we are not willing to share the messy things in our human lives then how will people who don't know God relate to his love and mercy. Resurrection works best in grave yards and sometimes the death is ugly, disturbing and uncomfortable. The Bible never avoided the human condition. Let God be the hero!!

7. Antonio

Antonio Member

I think you're on target. I myself enjoy a good Christian drama especially when it's true. The nice spin you have (I believe you said) is that your subject use to know God but slipped away and now she's making a come back. That's part of many people's story today. I think it works so go for it. I'm doing some writing along those lines myself. Although I'm only needing to fill in some spots on a few loose ends and missing parts of what's already written.

8. Ashley Nicole

Ashley Nicole Member

Thank you for all your input everyone! I am hoping to begin writing it this weekend. I have bits and pieces laying around just have to get them all together.
    As for writing for the Christian market, i really just write online for now. Eventually i hope to actually get published but we will see if that is the plan God has for me.

9. Ashley Nicole

Ashley Nicole Member

Also if anyone has any ideas for a cover i would love to hear it!

10. Jennifer Dando

Scripture tells us that we will over overcome by the blood of the lamb and the power of our testimony. It takes much more strength for a man to show his scars and talk about it rather than just to hide it. Scars are evidence of what a person has been through. For the most part people hide it but, there is power to unveiling your true self in front of someone who might be going through what you have been through. We speak of our testimony of the power of God through Christ Jesus. It is the most beautiful thing one can ever see.

Let no man stop you for God has called you to do a great thing!

Antonio likes this.
  11. Samantha Means

I think it's a great idea, my only caution would be to make sure your focus is on what would glorify God and not glorify what Satan is doing in the character's life. Having been through that sort of experience it's very easy to get stuck on how difficult the circumstances and pain was, and forget to show what and how God is working through it. It's a delicate balance, but I would say absolutely go for it. Scriptures that could be helpful while writing it would be Isaiah 54:10-17, Philippians 1:6, 4:13 and Romans 8:28-39. Happy writing!

12. Hucklebarry

Hucklebarry Member

I would second Samantha's caution. Some people believe that you can remove Christ from the work and still tell the story of Christ. That message will quickly be lost.

As for book covers, I'm no artist, but one that has been in my head for a while now is someone on their knees. I don't think its coincidence how similar our prayer posture and our devastation posture is. Whether we have hope or have NO hope, we go to our knees.

I would draw in pencil (sketchy) someone in the middle of the cover on their knees from the side or back. Someone you can't tell who they are (let the reader put themselves in that image). And the image also serves both extremes, whether they are hopeful in Christ, or feel they have no hope, they can relate to the image). All of the walls and furniture I would leave white and for the top and bottom of the cover (the border) I would have full color photo that continues the surroundings.

If that doesn't help spark any ideas, spend some time trying to find what hope would look like to someone who has none. I'm assuming this is the issue for your character. What one image would bring them back to the faith? Or at least start them down that path?

13. Walter Kahler

Walter Kahler Member

Hi, Ashley. Sounds like you're off to an excellent start. My biggest asset in writing is prayer. As long as I seek God throughout the process everything falls in place. It's awesome that you're inspired to move forward. Your story is spot on. GBY and blessing in your writing.

Ashley Nicole and Hucklebarry like this.