A traveler on the Literary Train

Discussion in 'Meets & Greets' started by Puppet Lady, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Puppet Lady

Puppet Lady Member

Hello Fellow Writers,

I began writing like most, in my preteens, lounging, with all the time in the world, in the poetry box car. I continued writing prose and poetry until 2014 when my focus turned to puppet skits in the cattle car. (most of the puppets are animals that are used for a Children Ministry -wink)

My husband suggested that I try my hand at writing a short story. I am now relaxing, leaning back on a seat in he passenger car,
    after recently completing rewrites. I hope to send it to an English teacher to help with grammar, etc. I will also ask friends to read it for their opinion if the story line flows and if it kept their interest.

I am also 'cleaning up' my puppet skits in the water tanker for possible publishing.

This is a new journey on the rails for me. So any tips regarding the need for an Editor, how to self publish, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I live near Columbus, OH, work on a Call Team for a major Health carrier, ring hand bells, sing in the choir, spend endless hours in my flowers bed when the Ohio weather permits, and head over heels for my husband, a church music director and music teacher.

Hopefully by youngest daughter, from previous marriage, will give me a grandchild before I am dragged scratching and kicking to the caboose. While my other adult children continue their day by day and throw morsels of what's happening in their lives to me on Facebook.

2. Joeli

Joeli Member

Welcome, Puppet Lady! I could hear the click-clacking of the track as I read your post :D.
    Years ago, I thoroughly enjoyed being involved in my church's music programs, and reading about your choir and hand bell participation brought back some good memories! I think music and writing go together well because they both employ creativity, mechanics, and rhythm.

I hope you enjoy being a part of the group! We're glad you've joined us :)!

3. Puppet Lady

Puppet Lady Member

thank you.

How do I get other people to read my short story instead of paying for an editor?

4. Poem Parks

Poem Parks Member

Nice to meet you, Puppet Lady! We have a few things in common in addition to writing: a church music director in the family (one of my sons), singing, and gardening (mostly organic veggies for me).

For your short story, I imagine others here will have advice. Maybe you'd want to post it here in the critique forum (go to "Writing & Publishing" above, then click on "Writing Critique Forum"). Or maybe you'll be able to find some beta readers. Offering to read someone else's work and provide feedback in exchange might be helpful. What's your story's genre? If it's sci-fi or fantasy, I probably wouldn't be much good to you, except for grammar.

5. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to our writing family. Glad you joined us. Loved your intro! :D Yes, you are welcome to post your work in the critique forum. No more than 3000 words at a time. I wouldn't forego the professional editor. This is a must to have your work accepted by an agent. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! :)

6. Puppet Lady

Puppet Lady Member

Thank you for the kindly welcome.
    Tell me more about these 'Beta Readers'. Is that like the Beta video tapes in the 70's? LOL

7. Poem Parks

Poem Parks Member

They're a little different than the video tapes. :D

The idea with using beta readers is to not have agents (or paying readers, if you self-publish) be the first people to see your work. You seem to already be thinking about beta readers--you mentioned plans to have people read your work, people who can give their impressions and point out things you may have missed because you've read your pages a hundred times (at least!) and your eyes may now be blind to things others can spot. Family members and friends often don't make the best beta readers. They love you and may see anything you write as wonderfully, perfectly perfect, even if perhaps it could actually be improved. Other writers generally make good beta readers, but finding the right beta readers can be tricky. It's good if you can find someone who reads and/or writes in your genre.

Something else to keep in mind: You can always graciously and gratefully receive feedback, and then decide not to do as advised. (With my first novel, I did something that was suggested, and I probably shouldn't have.) It's your work. :)

8. jonjovi

jonjovi Moderator

Hi Puppet Lady. welcome to Christianwriters! It is great to have you here!